What We Treat
We treat a wide variety of addictions and conditions.
Gambling addictions can cost you more than just money. It is one of the most difficult addictions to overcome because of the fun and potential reward that can come from placing bets, scratching lottery tickets, and betting on sports teams. When you constantly think you can beat the odds, or will have better luck next time, you can live in a perpetual cycle of hope and disappointment. The rush is what brings you back, but it can be devastating in the short and long term.
Add addictive substances, like drugs or alcohol, to this pattern and there’s life-destroying potential.
We at Resurgence Behavioral Health know that, like other forms of addiction, gambling can happen to the most well-intentioned people, from all walks of life. What starts out as some fun on a Saturday night, can turn into a nightmare for gambling addicts and their families. It’s a dangerous and slippery slope.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of a Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is not always as obvious as a drinking problem or a drug habit. There is no physical way to tell if someone has a gambling problem. However, like all addictions, gambling addiction can be extremely isolating. You may compulsively cater to the irrational belief that you can “beat the system,” leaving you feeling desperate and alone.
There are a number of signs that you may have a gambling addiction, including:
- You have increased the amount of money you typically gamble with;
- You get irritable when you try to stop gambling or reduce the amount of money you can play with;
- You have tried to stop gambling already and were not successful;
- You seek out ways to get money to gamble, including taking cash advances from credit cards, borrowing money from friends or family, or avoid paying bills in order to gamble with that money;
- You try to recoup your losses with more gambling;
- You relive exciting wins over and over;
- There have been loss of relationships or jobs because of your gambling, and/or
- You have been lying about your gambling habits
At Resurgence, we’ll help you to free yourself from gambling addiction at the same time you’re being treated for substance addiction. Your treatment team will use the most current treatment protocols in a safe, nonjudgmental environment.